AVALANCHE SKILLS TRAINING 1
This is the course where you’ll learn how to recognize avalanche terrain and how to self rescue. An AST 1 is a minimum of two days with both classroom and field components. You need to take this course first and so should your friends because just one person trained in a group is not enough. Everyone in your group should take an AST 1. Recognize an AST 1 course is only the beginning – the avalanche pros will tell you avalanche training is a life long process.
What you will learn in an AST 1:
- avalanche formation and release
- identify avalanche terrain
- the basics of trip planning
- optimal use of tools and resources like the avalanche forecasts to mitigate your avalanche risk
- use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- intro to companion rescue
Many instructors will offer the AST 1 course packaged with a Companion Rescue Skills or the Managing Avalanche Terrain courses. Check out the course schedules to see what is right for you. Learn more about the Companion Rescue Skills and Managing Avalanche Terrain courses below.
Location: Hakuba, Japan
December 2017: December 23rd and 24th
January 2018: January 2nd and 3rd
March 2018: February 27th and 28th